Corrugated cardboard: the icon of the circular economy.

What is the circular economy?

It is a restorative economy that adopts a regenerative business model, with the aim of producing something new with what we already have. This will help reduce the amount of waste deposited in landfills, environmental impact and also costs.

A study conducted by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, the research centre on the circular economy, found that in Europe, adopting this business model will have the economic benefit of increasing GDP by 7% by 2030.

This is where corrugated cardboard comes in: indeed, we can say that, by its very nature, it acquires the role of icon of the circular economy.

Thanks to the practice of waste sorting, 88% of paper and cardboard is recovered in Italy each year: a 100% biodegradable and recyclable material. This means that, precisely because of its characteristics, from waste it can come back to life again through recycling, significantly reducing the problem of waste disposal.

Therefore, waste paper returns to the production cycle, accounting for 80% of the raw material used in its production. The remaining 20% is virgin fibre, sourced from hardwood and softwood forests grown and managed by the paper industry. These are certified forests that, contrary to popular opinion, actively support reforestation activities: for every tree felled, three are planted.

But there is also another reason to call corrugated cardboard friendly to the planet.

In addition to decreasing the problem of waste disposal, recycling waste paper results in 65% energy savings in the production stage, do you know why?

According to data compiled by Comieco, the Italian National Consortium for the Recovery and Recycling of Cellulose-based Packaging, 400,000 litres of water and 7,600 kilowatts of energy are used to produce one tonne of paper from scratch; in contrast, 1,800 litres and 2,700 kilowatts are sufficient to produce recycled paper.

In conclusion, giving corrugated cardboard a new life through its recycling not only reduces environmental impact and the problem of waste disposal, but also produces significant energy savings.

Corrugated cardboard production based on a circular economy is the core business of Cartiere Modesto Cardella, an environmentally conscious company that constantly invests in cutting-edge technologies that can minimize the impact of its business on the planet.

It is thanks to companies like this that cardboard, having come to the end of its intended use, can live again and again. It can again move and handle goods, it can contain and protect new products or help store clothes and toys in closets.

And what about ourselves? We can contribute to this through the good practice of waste sorting, because it all starts from there.

Photo created by rawpixel.com on Freepik

Share this article

You might also be interested in